View Single Post
Old 05.28.2016, 09:25 PM   #2085
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Yeah, you're right about that.

I'm really not getting huffy about this. I just think it's a bit of a mind-fuck.

I also think that there's been something of a sea change in pop culture between our parents' generation, ours, and this one.
Like, my father thought Sonic Youh was noisey offensive trash. Not just Sonic Youth, but also the poppier Sebadoh, Dino and Pavement. He wouldn't be able to sit through one uninterrupted minute of Aphex Twin or Unwound.

It's because it's so much more bizarre and violent than anything he grew up with. But my dad wasn't a counterculture kid. Also, my dad grew up pre-punk. We grew up in the final third of punk's life. We're all obviously a bit left of center.
But because of the death of punk, "kids today" actually seem to be listening to music that is fat more tame and basic than what we grew up with.

Our "dad rock" is objectively more offensive and weird than anything that's going on now, even in the counterculture.

I'm really not flat out disagreeing with you. I just think the difference between modern music and "our" music is different than the difference between our music and our parents' music. For the first time, kids are listening to lamer, safer shit than their parents. That's my opinion anyway. But again, we're comparing a bunch of '80s and '90s punk kids to the 2010's youth at large. So it's a little slanted.

Are you picking up what I'm putting down here, or do I still sound like I'm just in denial? Seriously. I do understand what you're saying and I get it, but I'm trying to put what's in my tired old mind into words, and that's tough for a geriatric fuck like me
See now you're starting to get it

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|