View Single Post
Old 07.08.2015, 01:35 PM   #1248
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Anyone worth listening to isn't doing that at all. In fact the general consensus for best rap album of the year* on here all couldn't be futher away from your view of what modern day rap is about. Is there shit? Of course there is, but no more than there was 'in the good old days'

"Life ain't nothing but bitches and money" a line by a group who romanticised violence and misogony...in the wonder years of 1988. To make out that braggadocio and is something exclusive to modern rap is clearly not true, and you know it.

I was not talking about braggadoccio. I am talking specifically about the dearth of lyrical variety in what is the newest hip hop that are anything other than how much $$ you have, how much $$ you spend, how you got your $$, how you treat your "bitches", etc.

I am a 41 year old man, who understands that music, art and poetry have license to speak of whatever they want, but quite frankly, to my ears, the music and beats are far outpacing the lyrical content of much new underground hip hop in terms of originality and kick-assness.
The beats are sick, the bass is sick, the song "structures" are innovative and disjointed in the very best way, then the rapper starts spouting off about his Maybachs and bankroll. Tired lyrics.

Chuck D wrote in the liner notes to Nation of Millions... that his advice to young MC's is to read and learn and soak up as much as you can because the more you know the more you can rap to your people about. The way the industry exists currently it is hard for the conscientious rappers to get over and heard by the masses, who are happy to hear banging club beats and hyper-repetitive "rhymes."

It's a shame. It happens with all genres. Look at what passes for popular "rock" music these days....

BTW, that "life aint nothin but bitches and money" line came from a group of guys who were for the most part raised middle class, and who were FAKING being street hoods to shock, as young folks are wont to do. Be careful what you pretend to be, cuz the "kids" take it seriously.