View Single Post
Old 01.23.2008, 05:29 AM   #12228
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
i remember an interview where omar took credit for writing the riffs with the crazy chords saying that it was because he was left handed and had to make up chords that jim later had to learn.

then, atdi break up and jim keeps writing the riffs with that kind of chords while omar went on to write music that hardly has any guitar riffs or chords whatsoever.

i like me the odd sparta song, wiretap scars is too melancholic for me, at least it was the last time; porcelain has more solid songwriting. they are without a doubt better than the mars volta.

from this article
http://harpmagazine.com/articles/det...rticle_id=4807

Quote:
Rodriguez-Lopez and Bixler-Zavala’s presence at (ATDI) rehearsals and recording sessions also seemed practically non-existent. At the time, Rodriguez-Lopez says his attitude was, “If I’m going to be smoking crack all day, I sure don’t want to be in a fucking recording studio,” and so great portions of his time involved staying indoors, painting and getting high.
If they weren't at rehearsals, as they were too busy smoking crack and shooting heroin, then they can't have had too much in-put.

and this quote that made me laugh. Go Jim!!!
Quote:
Then there was the infamous show in San Francisco at the tiny indie rock club Bottom Of The Hill. That night, former At The Drive-In guitarist Jim Ward turned up in the audience, had more than a couple drinks and, as Bixler-Zavala recalls, “laid into Omar.”
“He was like, ‘Yeah, that’s cool, you guys go ahead an make your own band,’” Bixler-Zavala says, mimicking his ex-bandmate. “That’ll go really far. ‘Yeah, you and Cedric, the responsible guys.’”
As insensitive as that may sound, Ward had a valid point. The Mars Volta had yet to become a professional rock band in almost any capacity.

To me, i don't think Omar and Cedric had much to do with ATDI's writing, Cedric wrote half the lyrics and Omar came up with some good guitar parts to play over Jim's excellent guitar parts, but you're right Jim carried that band.
Watch Jim caring the band
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZagV6...eature=related
Omar throws his guitar at an amp half way through the song. Cedric does what he usually does, and Jim ends up singing most of the song.
I love At The Drive In, it would be kool if they were still together as they made an excellent band, but when it comes to your personal life i think Jim and Tony are better off without Cedric and Omar around them.
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|