View Single Post
Old 06.07.2015, 08:50 PM   #16
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Yeah, it's true that there's been a noticeable lull in the production and release of noise music over the past few years.

Incidentally, we have very similar taste. Yellow Swans were the first act that came to mind when I went through this thread, actually. And yeah, Pocahaunted, Emeralds, Wolf Eyes, Jackie-o Motherfucker...

Also No-Neck Blues Band and Excepter
Belong
Burning Star Core!
Vibracathedral Orchestra
Robedoor
Mouthus

And if we're talking techno-influenced shit, then certainly Pan Sonic, Ben Frost, Fuck Buttons (maybe too modern? I don't know, I love me some Fuck Buttons... When Wolf Eyes fell out for a bit, I glommed on to FB's so tenaciously that I barely noticed their absence.)

I'm just spitting shit out here. Perhaps I should consult some notes and playlists and look through my music library a bit
oh yeah shit belong, they were a good one. also the cleveland scene so bee mask and everyone else on that axis.

ben frost & fuck buttons are in a completely different lineage, more along the lines of 'populist noise' for lack of a better term, employing accessible signifiers like melody/rhythm to very conventional means. while all those other groups you've listed definitely conform to what we're talking about here those two are completely different; their music is high fidelity, free from the murk which defined everything else we're talking about and similarly lacking in any identifiable esotericism. also their music has been released on very prominent record labels and as such no DIY element. also ben frost is australian and also ben frost is a fucking cunt. his music's shit as well. tried to be nice but couldn't hold it together, sincerely sorry but I hate ben frost so much.

and as much as pan sonic employ noise as a compositional tool they were also operating within a completely different context, more readily aligning with the european avant-garde electronic styles (for example mego, touch, type, raster-noton), musics which skewed towards a more sterile, academic place as opposed to the proclivity of 21st century noise artists (particularly in the US) to engage in completely uninhibited improvisation which owes more to DIY rock and kosmische than GRM or modernist comp.

guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|