View Single Post
Old 02.24.2010, 05:16 PM   #9622
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I agree that Gus Van Sant is average, but he is consistent. I think he has made a ton of honest-to-god good films (let's forget Psycho). And all his films have one or two moments that are actually really brilliant. He has yet to make a great film, though My Own Private Idaho, Drugstore Cowboy, and Mala Noche came close. I think Elephant and Last Days and Gerry are really important, interesting pieces of mainstream cinema. In a lot of ways, he reminds me of a guy who really really wants to be Jon Jost, but is too afraid of his mainstream credibility being damaged so he never goes all the way. I'd rather watch Bed You Sleep In or Bell Diamond.

Anyway, Paranoid Park actually is good. Gus creates a good atmosphere. In a lot of ways, he reminds me of what Larry Clark often aspires to do, but Larry Clark is an idiot piece of shit.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|