Thread: Just curious...
View Single Post
Old 02.10.2010, 03:14 PM   #4
SYHamilton
little trouble girl

SYHamilton kicks all y'all's assesSYHamilton kicks all y'all's assesSYHamilton kicks all y'all's assesSYHamilton kicks all y'all's assesSYHamilton kicks all y'all's assesSYHamilton kicks all y'all's assesSYHamilton kicks all y'all's assesSYHamilton kicks all y'all's assesSYHamilton kicks all y'all's assesSYHamilton kicks all y'all's assesSYHamilton kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsygrrl
1. How and/or who turned turned you on to SY? (apologies.I know it's been asked before)
2. What was yr favorite band before that?
3. Are yr mom and/or dad into SY? Are you into anything THEY listen to?

I was browsing through some 7-inch singles at an independent record store in my hometown, Hamilton, Ont. Canada in 1998. I found a four-song EP called Sounds Blasts and it had Silver Rocket, plus some bands called Pailhead, Munich Eunich and Prong. It had a three dollar price tag on it so I picked it up.
After I heard Silver Rocket I just had to hear more, so I bought A Thousand Leaves, their newest album at the time, as well as Daydream Nation and Goo. Since then, I've collected 13 of their albums, but I lost interest for awhile after NYCG &F came out. I got back into them a few years later, unfortunately missing out on a great album (Murray Street).

Sonic Youth gets very little media attention in Canada and virtually zero airplay. I think our local new rock station (Edge 102.1) has played Kool Thing maybe twice in the last 10 years. Without visiting that record store I probably would know nothing of the band to this day.

Before discovering SY I think my favourite band was probably Soundgarden, who managed to stick around until the late 90s.

And to answer the third question, my parents have only ever listened to classical music- so there was no influence there.
SYHamilton is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|