View Single Post
Old 01.02.2010, 11:58 AM   #220
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
But why is it necessarily invisible and overarching? I think education works best under a seminar approach so confining subjects totally to their individual classes loses the important lesson of how all these subjects are interrelated. Giving a general overview of Christianity, for instance, is quite necessary for a class on early European history. In other classes, too, religion as a social institution can be relevant to the subject. I suppose I don't understand what you mean of religion as a way to discuss all topics, even though I went to a Jesuit university.

Of course, and that's not what I meant at all. To talk about Christianity's role in the evolution of history, literature, politics, the arts and even science is utterly crucial. That's an entirely different matter to letting a teacher working in a state school invisibly allow their faith to colour the student's understanding of various topics. It's the same with any faith, be it religious or secular. I disapprove just as much of Marxist teachers talking about history solely from a Marxist perspective without declaring it as just that, a position, and not providing even-handed accounts of other positions that might contradict it. In essence, I disapprove of any kind of teaching method that could be seen as providing a kind of ideological indoctrination, be it faith based, politically biased or even secular.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|