View Single Post
Old 12.04.2009, 10:58 PM   #1
Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski
children of satan

Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard sucka
People into music will frequently ask, "what's your favorite band?" Though many people shy away from this question, I have been confident answering it since I was a teenager. I guess it has changed a few times, but I consistently have said, "Sonic Youth" for the past seventeen years.

Of course, further explanations follow. Maybe I'm into folk music at the time, so I'll explain the new stuff I'm exploring, but I rarely don't bring up Sonic Youth on a virginal music conversation with someone new.

In a way, I feel bad because it's a bit for convenience. They're an easy favorite band to have. Most people that are somewhat like-minded will have at least a couple albums or will recognize their persona. It makes me fit into a mold fairly easily, and I don't mind it because it's a mold that accents my personality rather than defining it.

I have the posters, the setlists, the t-shirts, the buttons, the record bag, the bumper sticker... the band is a major part of my identity. When I was teaching in the states, few of my students knew Sonic Youth, but they knew that I loved them. People e-mail me when they hear something about Sonic Youth. If tragedy were to befall Sonic Youth, people would look for my reaction.

It's all a bit weird to think about. Does anyone else relate to this? What are the pros and cons of saying "Sonic Youth (or any band for that matter) is my favorite band"?

Also, since I've been living in Japan, I'm totally unable to have this conversation. Maybe this is why I'm thinking about it. When people asked me about music, I started listing bands that were more popular, but no one in Akita has heard of even the most popular American bands (like Pearl Jam or something). So, I switched to The Rolling Stones because it will at least provide more conversation rather than a dead end. I feel like I can't really be myself without my brand of being a Sonic Youth fanboy. I could use the approach of trying to play the music for them, but I'm 99% sure it would freak them the fuck out (much of Japanese culture is very soft and cuddly, especially the rural culture). I miss being able to say that Sonic Youth is my favorite band.
Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|