View Single Post
Old 10.30.2009, 11:47 AM   #69
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker
That was a joke by the way. Believing in a god that punishes people who believe in a god is...self defeating.

What I don't like in many atheists is that they don't just lack belief in any god/religion but that they define themselves by this opposition to religion.

That's the very point of being an atheist, it shouldn't surprise you so much.

But in what your saying I suppose that's why someone like Nietzsche is so important because he actually addresses the problems in the loss of religion, such as the loss of meaning in life that this entails.

Nietzsche can well and truly fuck off, since an atheist worth their salt will understand what life is about as much as someone whose faith is strong, including the importance that religion has in its midst for a lot of people. Seriosuly, that is the sort of bad generalisation about atheists which is no better than ''atheists'' who can't wait to remind everyone how much they hate God, the church etc. In my experience an atheist has to take a constant, lifelong interest in religion/the church (of whichever creed) in order to prove their point in a serious manner.

Also, the assumed ''lack of spirituality'' an atheist is meant to experience by abandoining god is well and truly a myth. You are not abandoning spirituality as such, since that is completely impossible for a person to do, you are abandoning the theory of the big bang, the creation of earth by a superior being, and all the subsequent apparatus that reinforces those theories. You still live, breathe, and have a soul like everyone else.

Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|