View Single Post
Old 10.08.2009, 04:10 AM   #47
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
I got into an arguement with a friend the other day about her approach to making music, she's got skills but to my mind it seems like she went off to do her masters and came back bedazzled by critical theory and hack tutors who use deleuze and his ilk to obfuscate their lack of imagination. Plus most academics seem to me to be totally clueless about what happens outside of their own little academic scene, which seems bizarre to me.

What do you lot think about people who go off to do an arts course and then come back like they've come off the production line? do you think it is possible to show these people the error of their ways, or do you think i'd be beating my head against a brick wall?

Arts-teaching should focus more on the developing of different skills/techniques, without overshadowing the student's learning/artistic development with the philosophical approach the tutor seems to think is the most approriate. The ideal would be having a neutral approach to teaching how to produce art, by making sure that various techiniques are presented, explained, exemplified (manually and with books), and then put into practice in the classroom. Within that process, ideally a student determined enough to develop their own artistic vision should work out their own way of producing art all their own with a sense of worth, rather than just messing around.

The major problem with this in Britain is that you have that law which gives academics complete intellectual liberty, initially enforced for a good cause, but ended up being abused by too many academics with too poor ideas and keen on exploiting what they perceive is the dominant way of thinking, or something like that. This I was told by my friend, who is a senior researcher in a London university.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|