View Single Post
Old 10.02.2009, 08:22 AM   #35
zombiewoof
empty page

zombiewoof is a name known to allzombiewoof is a name known to allzombiewoof is a name known to allzombiewoof is a name known to allzombiewoof is a name known to allzombiewoof is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Also, I read recently that one of Merzbow's favorite musicians is Zappa. Found that really interesting.

well, if you've heard Zappa's 'Lumpy Gravy' this will make some sense. The way Zappa uses noises and cuts off beautiful orchestral music with electronic music is not very far removed from Merzbow's composing methods.

Jim O'Rourke once said nice things on 'Uncle Meat', which has some technical info printed on the sleeve on how to overdub as many layers as possible. This encouraged Jim to do similar things.

The Zappa album that did it for me was Hot Rats. It's totally different than most of Zappa's other output since it's missing his cynical lyrics and musical jokes. CD 3 of Lumpy Money with outtakes on the orchestral sessions for Lumpy Gravy is really nice too. Same for 'Imaginary Diseases'. I'm still loving 'Absolutely Free' and 'Burnt Weeny Sandwich' a lot too. And 'Waka Jawaka'. And 'Grand Wazoo'. And 'Roxy and Elsewhere'.
zombiewoof is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|