View Single Post
Old 08.26.2009, 04:00 PM   #16
mkuboot
empty page

mkuboot kicks all y'all's assesmkuboot kicks all y'all's assesmkuboot kicks all y'all's assesmkuboot kicks all y'all's assesmkuboot kicks all y'all's assesmkuboot kicks all y'all's assesmkuboot kicks all y'all's assesmkuboot kicks all y'all's assesmkuboot kicks all y'all's assesmkuboot kicks all y'all's assesmkuboot kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeballGrowth
Someone want to reccomend me a volume/wah that's not morely or Crybaby?

There's a world of Wah-pedals out there, it really depends on the sound you're after. I don't really know about the cheaper pedals, as I have been playing for a few decades (2.5 almost - geez, am I old?), and the wah is integral for my sounds. I found there's 2 ways to go: Test them all, or know what you want & get a good one - just think how much strain you put on the pot alone!

For vintage sounds something like Budda or RMC-Teese are great. The Fulltone Clyde is very nice as well - simply a question of taste. I like Teese, Geoffrey is a great person to deal with, and I find his wahs are simply phenomenal. I've had a problem with my Wizard-Wah lately, and Geoffrey just shipped me a totally new board, a new pot, and a new switch - for free. Now, his Wahs are expensive, but where in the world would you get a customer service like that?

I don't know if the Rocktron Bad-Cat is still in production? This pedal features true bypass, and a really sweet 'moan'-switch taht enhances the 'wah'-effect and just sounds great with distortion - it really screams. Unfortunately, mine shares the destiny of my Dunlops, broken beyond repair...

BTW there are some nice Dunlops as well: The Classic Crybaby also has TB, and I like the sound of its Fasel inductor circuit. It's also not too expensive.
The Hendrix JH2 sounds nice albeit a bit darker (lower) than the Crybaby.

If you're a fan of RHCP's Frusciante, there's only one pedal: The Grey Ibanez WH10. It's from the 80ies, it's plastic, it's out of production...and I paid a freakin amount for it (and yes, it IS worth it).
It's out as a re-issue by now (in a metal case), and while IBZ claim it's the same circuit, I really doubt it will sound the same. In case you want mine, pm me...I need a tool for our gigs, and the WH10 sits at home because it's too expensive to take on the road...shitty fan-cult vintage-shit! Alternatively, you could buy the Wilson 10-Spot which comes in a Dunlop-style metal case, but costs almost as much as a real WH...

There's countless other wahs out there: I've tried Snarling dogs with the ugly 'foot'-thing and mediocre sound, the DOD FX 17 (also out of production, but can be found cheaply sometimes), which sounds strange because it works by changing electronic current, Coloursound Re-Issues (Thurston likes 'em, I don't)...

I'm sure the others will come up with more choices!

Good luck and have fun finding your whacka!

Light, More Light...
GOETHE
mkuboot is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|