View Single Post
Old 06.28.2009, 04:39 PM   #10
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

notyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
She's definitely doing it for money rather than to make a statement, but it is not devoid of any expression. While brains may not be the main reason people (and they aren't all men either) go into the club, it hasn't hurt her take home dollars to speak intelligently - actually quite the opposite.

Expression is extremely powerful. Feminists are constantly discussing the importance of getting women's voices out/creating safe spaces to express oneself. I think that a lot of people both within and outside the feminist community forget how sexuality can be used as an expressive and artistic tool. The problem is when people get so stuck on the naked body that they can't allow their minds to go past that...

I consider myself to be a (sex-)radical feminist. As a both a sex-radical and just plain old fervent radical feminist, I think that it's really important to always remember that, while nudity and sexuality might be great in some cases, it can also become dangerous and be used as a tool against many women. Privledge def factors in here. Some sex workers are in positions where they are safe and secure whereas others certainly are not. Another problem with perpetuating the idea that reducing oneself to ones sexuality is empowering is that it ignores some of the horrible consequences that can arise.

I personally think that Kim Gordon was trying to address some of this in Mailbu Gas Station - how the oversexualized empowered young Hollywood actress has become a disaster for all of us. What do you think?

About the whole objectification thing, I personally think that a major problem arises when you stop being able to see the full person. It is dangerous when a partner becomes an object and you ignore the complex layers that make up thier being. Once again, Kim uses her sexuality to talk about the complexities of female experience. Amazing.

notyourfiend is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|