View Single Post
Old 05.14.2009, 09:08 PM   #151
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

wellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ni'k
how does the older carribean stuff relate to the current tropical noise/drone stuff? is there any connection? i'd be interested in hearing that. i'm gonna go look up forro aswell.

does sun araw count as tropical drone? i bring him up because it's the only droney thing i've heard that struck me as tropical, if that's the kind of thing you're referring to i think it sounds more like hawaiian and pop exotica type stuff than anything from the carribean

i've heard abe vigoda called tropical, and sometimes their guitar tone reminds me of the instrument mbira, and they said they were influenced by the "hallelujah chicken run band" from zimbabwe who kind of have that sort of trebly airy vibe you can hear in sun araw and abe vigoda, and their singer thomas mapfumo went solo and you might like him when in the mood for heavier material that still maintains a trebly upbeat sound most of the time

i hope that's the kind sound you were talking about.

the older carribean styles like calypso and mento are pretty much as far from drone as you can get since they're based mostly on a repetitive rhythm with the focus on the lyrics(much like hiphop)
wellcharge is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|