View Single Post
Old 04.28.2009, 09:18 AM   #18
Count Mecha
100%

Count Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWRA
Antenae sounds very promising on the basis of its length, structure and mood - something of a throwback to the 'autumnal'-songs-with-content-vocals from the A Thousand Leaves, NYC:GAF, Murray Street period (by the way, do those albums have a collective name? I'm sure it's been said that three of them were part of a loose trilogy though I'm not sure if those were the three, substitute one of them for Washing Machine / Sonic Nurse maybe? Anyway its my favourite period of their music); also it has a nice chorus, catchy in a good way.

Mos def. There was a definite ATL, Murray Street vibe going on in Antenae, not so much NYC G+F though. The beginning reminded me a bit of the ending to Karen Revisited. The song has a really nice shape about it. It's a good marriage of the pop and I guess non-pop capabilities that Sonic Youth have always been pretty good at. I liked that song alot.

As for What We Know. I wasn't sure what to think at first like some others here. But I'm liking it more upon subsequent listens. I have a feeling the studio run of this song will be more impressive than this. But I'm more into it now than I was before.

If these songs are any indicator along with the release of Sacred Trickster, the Eternal has the potential to elevate Sonic Youth out of the rut they've been in from Sonic Nurse and Rather Ripped. Not to diss on those albums, but like others have said, Murray Street was the last really great one.
Count Mecha is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|