View Single Post
Old 01.13.2009, 03:28 PM   #1666
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
what I meant was that religion is a collective creation, not an individual creation.

right-- my approach is that most common traits of human culture are a product of our genes rather than a conscious, purposeful choice-- i'm referring to the basic impulse, not the particular cultural/social/historical manifestations of it. we don't "decide" to eat, acquire language, mate, make war, pray when in need, etc-- our genes decide for us most of these things. consciousness is a very thin thin layer painted on the surface, and it has the delusion that it has control over the writhing mess of the flesh and millions of years of acquired atavisms, instincts and automatic behaviors. we don't make religion-- it's made with us.

of course, there are mutants, albinos, and such.

but i do you yell at the tv when you favorite team is playing football? ehhhh? do you put send them "energy" to help them win? do you cheer even though they are 1000 miles away? yeah... fess up.

i know that's not "religion" but it's the same principle in my eyes. propitiatory prayers, rituals, etc. and it's deeply ingrained in the human nervous system. some people have a mild case of it and some people go wackadoodle with it, yeah.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|