View Single Post
Old 12.02.2008, 03:56 PM   #4368
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazifan
thanks to !@#$%'s recomendations i saw a rohmer flick today. i saw my night at maudes. it was very good. very very good. very slow at times, but quite rewarding none the less

please get the criterion version of these movies-- they include awesome interviews and additional materials.

if you can watch them in order also, there is a big payoff, as you get to appreciate the themes + variations scheme.

night at maud's is actually #4?

1- the baker girl of monceau
2 - suzann'es career
3 - my night at maud's
4 - the collector (this was shot before night at maud's but it's #4-- i don't undesrtand why.
5 - claire's knee
6 - love in the afternoon (also a billy wilder title, do not confuse).

#1 and #2 are a bit clunky but set the tone. they are all the same movie, ha ha ha, well the same theme, over & over, with GREAT variations.

this is recommended for people who like movies of ideas, e.g., "filmed conversations". think of neil labutte or some of linklatter's movies (e.g. before sunrise) or cassavettes. they can be a little hard to watch, especially if you don't speak french and have to read subtitles, oy! but totally worth it. the cinematography especially when nestor almendros enters is fucking great (films #3 and up).

afterthefact, if you have netflix, get all 6, and start with #1-- yes it will look like a student movie, but there will be a delayed reward when youve watched them all.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|