View Single Post
Old 11.07.2008, 01:51 PM   #100
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
If I had made this sort of list 18/19 years ago I would have probably included many of the albums mentioned on these lists, so in a way I can understand their presence on many of the youngsters' lists. What I don't get is why people download/buy so much 'obscure' music which apparently blows them away, and then end up having the same records on these top whatever over and over again. I'm not criticising the personal choices of anyone, I just don't get what the point of looking for new music is for many posters.

It's because decent music peaked in precisely 1976. Didn't you know that?

More seriously though, there are a lot of records that time has failed to forget. Tago Mago is still amazing; Amun Duul (who I've neglected) are still amazing; David Bowie is still amazing (although I'm sure everyone knows my actual feelings on Dame Dave). I'd be very surprised if anyone who didn't live through the 90s (which I did, for part of it) would consider that Urusei Yatsura were amazing, but they'd certainly know the Bends. History makes the oblique question of how good something is seem easier. Is Fun House one of the greatest records ever? Personally, I'd say no, but in terms of how many bands lifted from it, it's absurdly influential.

I think the more recent polls (80s & 90s) are showing up a lot more 'personal choices' because a lot of people were semi-functional adults at the time. Thinking Fellers whatsit - they wouldn't appear in a 90s list in 10-15 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|