View Single Post
Old 08.01.2008, 03:32 PM   #40
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Everyone's a critic. The minute you listen to a record and have an opinion about it, you're being critical.

I'm not a critic by your definition, though, I'm just informed. Rob called an amazing album boring... I find that silly!

So.. uh.. I'M STICKING OUT MY TONGUE AT YOU.

Could I ask that you make more comments about criticism rather than comments about records? Because this is actually quite a well-reasoned and cogent post. Not that your comments about records aren't appreciated, they're just a bit... earnest, for my taste (and my taste is, as we've established, that of a cunt).

I was nattering about Trout Mask Replica the other night, as it happens. It's one of those records, like the White album and the like, that are pretty much indispensible to the rock lexicon, like them or not. Part of the problem with the album is that, by being what it is, it ends up eluding criticism 'they're playing like they can't play' or 'it's just spazzy blues' have the same effect if they're said positively or negatively. 'It's over-rated' can be applied to any album with enough cultural currency - be it Trout Mask Replica or Slippery when Wet. For my part, I enjoy the album, and that took me a fucking long time. And, unlike a lot of the pantheon of 'all-time greats', its influence (or its explicit influence) has been minimal. No-one's made a record that's quite like it, or those that have made some unimportant guff.

It does go on for about a million years too long though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|