Thread: drum n bass
View Single Post
Old 05.30.2006, 12:38 PM   #26
alyasa
invito al cielo

alyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's asses
Yes, contentious, perhaps. Have you heard the 'Harder Than The Rest" compilation? That seems less Techno, I would venture to say. But I see the distinction you have made between the jungle and the techno... It's true that Alex Reece and basically everyone on the Metalheadz label were more widely regarded as dancefloor music; than any type of music a serious critic would pay attention to, outside of the dance scene, of course. And it was basically, as you say, the techno boys who were getting all the attention; people like William Orbit, Underworld and Moby. But I sincerely think that was due to the prevailing tastes of the time, rather than any lack of musical merit. I mean the music on the radio then was what, Radiohead? Brian Eno was just getting mainstream recognition, thanks to bands like U2. So a genre like dnb, with its bass-heavy, fast beats and reliance on expensive high-end listening equipment would more than likely not really catch on in the typical radio listener's home then. It is true that dnb was more of music for the clubs, but its offshoots and the stylistic influences it has wrought on modern electronic music is, i think, to a certain extent; quite apparent.