View Single Post
Old 06.25.2008, 01:07 PM   #29
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
I hate to put you on the spot, but would you mind posting the review here in this thread?
Looking back, I'm not pleased with it, but here it is. Also note, it was intended for an audience that's probably not very familiar with them:
Quote:
Sigur Rós
Hvarf-Heim

The experimental band from Iceland sounds like they didn’t have to work too hard on their new release, Hvarf-Heim. The quality and talent are still there, but being composed of mostly old material, it may not satisfy fans itching for something new.

The double-CD is essentially a B-Side release consisting of five “new” tracks and six new recordings of existing material. In reality, Hvarf, the first disc, has only three new tracks, recorded between 1999 and 2002, and two unreleased versions of songs from their debut 1995 album, Von. Heim, the second disc, boasts six full live studio recreations of songs off of each of their studio albums, from Von to Takk…. The resulting versions are certainly different, giving the songs a noticeably sparse and often harsh focus on each individual instrument, and losing the whirlpool of noise and detail they’re known for. Sometimes, like on “Ágætis Byrjun,” it works; for other songs, like “Vaka” and “Samskeyti,” we’re only left with a mildly grating repetitiveness and an overemphasis on the core melody.

The packaging is, as usual, aesthetically absorbing and completely lacking in text of any kind. The dual-theme of the opposing covers was an interesting concept, and the titles, Hvarf (which means ‘Vanish’ or ‘Leave’) and Heim (‘Home’ or ‘Return Home’) give the album an effective emotional agenda. Though everything could have been fit onto a single disc, it seems fitting that it was split into two. Not to mention, it didn’t affect the price.

Though it’s technically a B-Side album, it may be more suited for new listeners than long-time fans, though fans will probably end up getting it as well. Still, “Hliómalind” and “Í Gær” are almost worth the price alone. It’s an enjoyable palette of the band’s career and, with a couple exceptions, is not disappointing.
I think I gave it a 3.5/5, but I don't have the score on my computer and I never grabbed a copy of it when it came out.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|