View Single Post
Old 05.26.2006, 07:58 PM   #11
khchris(original)
100%

khchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by AssBlaster
Rather Ripped isn't better than...

A Thousand Leaves, NYC Ghosts + Flowers or Murray Street.

I do like it a tad more than Nurse (which ain't saying much).

I personally like it more than A Thousand Leaves because it's shorter, more straight forward and the songs are much more diverse as a whole. A Thousand Leaves has songs way too long and drawn out(longer does not mean "better") and alot of the songs sound too similar. I like variety in songs.

NYG&F was their worst album by far but is not in any way a "bad" album...just SY's worst effort to date. Murray Street was better than NYG&F, but not as good as Nurse. That's understandable since by the time Nurse came out, Jim was more comfortable with the band.

But, this is just my opinion. I like Rather Ripped because:

1. Shorter songs-I tend to gravitate to the more shorter song albums which is why I prefer everything from Washing Machine and before over the anything after Washing Machine. A Thousand Leaves was a period where they changed their format and had songs that were much too long IMO that kinda killed some of the songs. I do like Daydream Nation and that had some long plays, but it also had more action and aggressiveness in their songs that made the long plays more interesting.

2. Variety-alot of the songs are just so different from eachother but you get a sense that they do have association to eachother. Do you believe in rapture is very different from Incinerate and The Neutral. I just think overall, SY did a great job making the song variety and sound stretch the spectrum.

3. Melody-it's the reason why I rate SISTER as my all time favorite album by any band and why I will always love the pre-A Thousand Leaves era SY.

4. Aggressive guitar action-I love things with power and straight to the point with SY. There are bands that I love that make music that takes time to start(like Califone/RRM, The For Carnation, tons of others), but that isn't what SY really are about. They finally get back to having fun on guitar and you can tell that Thurston & Lee just have a great language between them.

That's SY's formula. It's why Rather Ripped sounds very classic SY...because they abandoned their more recent approach to songwriting and got back to what they were good at: aggressive mean but melodic guitar with great hooks and short songs.
khchris(original) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|