View Single Post
Old 05.01.2008, 04:37 PM   #9
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
The success of Nirvana has often been notated as the beginning of an era, as the onset of alternative crossing over into the mainstream, and, of course, this is correct. But in a much larger sense, time has proved the opposite for many. In my mind, and, I suppose, in the minds of other discerning music lovers whose tastes never embraced the mainstream in the first place, Nirvana's appearance was the harbinger of the end of an era, not the beginning. Must be why Thurston, when referring to the title in the movie, refers to it with a satirical sneer citing a contemporary "candyass" performance of "Anarchy in the U.K" by Mötley Crüe. He knew the handwriting was on the wall.

Then, years later, the emerging internet hailed the possibility of a comeback of sorts for the music industry. As we know, Chuck D was excited enough about the hype to appear on Nightline with Ted Koppel. Oh well, I like him, Chuck anyway.

Funny though how everything turns to shit eventually, even rock 'n' roll. In the music industry it seems to happen more often than not as soon as profiteers realize that there are major bucks to be made.
Look to Woodstock as another example. The ideals of that whole generation changed shortly thereafter.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|