View Single Post
Old 05.26.2006, 02:20 PM   #18
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
I tried to put on a B-52s live concert video for a party (well, a gathering) the other week & everyone was like "sure" & then when it played everyone lost interest & wanted Metallica's s/t black album...at the last real party I threw everything was going fine because I was playing it safe with the music & then I put on Tom Waits' "Chocolate Jesus" & shortly thereafter I had a couple of people asking if they could pick out the music haha. I was at a party once in Athens & Michael Stipe complimented my choice of the Goo record. I didn't know the people giving the party at all & I had just helped myself. One time at another Athens party that Ancient Baby & The Drovers (both bands are from Chicago) were playing, the cops were called out & the second time they showed up (after the warning had been issued), I put on The Beatles' Tomorrow Never Knows & cranked the stereo all the way up. It was surreal to see the police roaming through the house & yard with it playing. Surprisingly, they never turned it down. I let that one song play really loud & then let the stereo fall silent. I am the Walrus would have been cool for the "pretty little policemen in a row" part, but there was no Magical Mystery Tour cd to be played; no Body Count either.

is it a party w/o
Kool & the Gang - Jungle Boogie?

i think not.

here's around a hundred song suggestions (a party in three acts)

early party amp-up (since you're 30, i'm takin a gamble on a lot of '80s stuff here)
if anyone complains about "too much '80s music" then promptly put on Frank & Moon Unit Zappa's Valley Girl

These were picked because they are great tunes; if you're more interested in just being cool daddy then go with whole albums by the likes of Butthole Surfers, N.W.A., Dr. Dre, Funkadelic, Bob Marley, Smashing Pumpkins, Jesus and Mary Chain, The Jesus Lizard, Black Sabbath & Metallica. Ultimately, it depends on how many people are there & what kind of crowd they are really.

The Cars - Good Times Roll & Bye Bye Love
Laurie Anderson - From the Air
Queen - Crazy Little Thing Called Love
Duran Duran - Girls on Film & Planet Earth
B-52s - Rock Lobster & Planet Claire
Kool & the Gang - Jungle Boogie
Sonic Youth - Into the Groove(y), StreamxSonik Subway, 'Cross the Breeze, Beat on the Brat & I Don't Wanna Walk Around With You
Ramones - I Don't Wanna Walk Around With You & Outsider
Flava Flav -The Hot 1
Deerhoof - Twin Killers & Milk Man
Public Enemy - Back in the Building & By the Time I get to Arizona
Kate Bush - Hounds of Love & Running Up That Hill
Kinks - (I wanna be like) Superman
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers with Stevie Nicks - Stop Draggin' My Heart Around
Kiss - Rock n' Roll All Nite (kiss are overblown cheesemeisters, but this is a great party song)
David Bowie - Hang on to Yourself & Queen Bitch
Beastie Boys - Body Movin' & Girls
Black Flag - Wasted
Camper Van Beethoven - Hippie Chix, We Saw Jerry's Daughter, I Was Born in a Laundromat & Eye of Fatima Pt. 1
The Beatles - Dizzy Miss Lizzie, I Am the Walrus, Helter Skelter & Twist and Shout

mid-party
Eric Clapton - Cocaine (or the original J.J. Cale version I suppose)
Fleetwood Mac - Tusk, Gold Dust Woman, & Dreams
R.E.M. - Superman & Wolves, Lower
Devo -That's Good, Through Being Cool & Peek-a-Boo
Tommy James & the Shondells - Crimson and Clover
The Smiths - How Soon is Now?
Velvet Underground - Sister Ray
Neil Young - Like A Hurricane & Don't Cry No Tears
Sonic Youth - Rats (if you dl'ed), Dirty Boots, Mote & Pipeline/Kill Time
Wylde Rattz - the whole thing
Mudhoney - Touch Me I'm Sick & 'N' & Out of Grace
Foghat - Slow Ride
Camper Van Beethoven - Wasted, The Day That Lassie Went to the Moon & When I Win The Lottery
The Beatles - Rain, Happiness is A Warm Gun, Yer Blues & (I Want You) She's So Heavy

winding down
Velvet Underground - Venus in Furs & Pale Blue Eyes
Tom Waits - Rain Dogs & Gun Street Girl
Al Green - Love and Happiness
The Ronettes - Be My Baby
John Coltrane Quintet - My Favorite Things
Cat Power - Werewolf
Sonic Youth - Disappearer, Small Flowers Crack Concrete, The Sprawl & I Know There's An Answer
The Cure - A Hundred Years
Camper Van Beethoven - Sad Lover's Waltz
Cracker - Don't Fuck Me Up (with Peace & Love) & Dr. Bernice
The Rolling Stones - Sister Morphine
The Replacements - Unsatisfied
Nico - The End (should get any straglers out the door haha)
Lou Reed & John Cale - A Dream (this really gets the straglers out the door...if all else fails put on Eno & Fripp, & if that still doesn't do it, John Cage or scottish bagpipe music really loud)
The Beatles - Blue Jay Way, Long Long Long, Revolution No. 9 & Good Night (wind-down music for the people you want to be staying)
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|