View Single Post
Old 04.12.2008, 12:30 AM   #29
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
No, I wouldn't go so far as to say "Yes sucks", just much of their worse excesses (but on the other hand and to the other extreme also their most commercial endeavors, Big Generator anybody?) I really like the first two albums, which were psych rather than "art-rock" records, and actually The Yes Album is still great, and Fragile has it's moments if starting to get over indulgent and certainly way overplayed. I just don't see any defense for Topographical Oceans though, nor Relayer, Tormanto, etc., etc. (not even to get into the most recent reunions).

And I was straight up that I think my tastes are subjective to begin with. I prefer less is more, and Wakeman has done it really well for other artists. What he's famous for in Yes is the keyboard equivalent of wankiness though. And yeah, a great deal of his solo catalog is even more of the same, in fact worse, since he's free from the "song" strictures of the prog rock group...

i was kinda kidding man, i know nobody likes yes. at least you really show appreciation.

i'm yet to venture to the yes album and back but i'm kinda familiar with them, and out of the ones i heard, my favorite is fragile. i noticed that yes were a lot better live than in the studio, they always tried to super polish everything and multitrack as much as possible, i love "close to the edge" live but find the studio version just ok, same with relayer, too smooth but life i love all three songs. weird. but i'm not saying this so you should like them, just i don't know, making conversation...no, actually, to show you that even thought i love them, i know what you mean.

but i agree, not only wakeman, but all of them could fare really well playing less.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|