View Single Post
Old 01.03.2008, 05:18 AM   #84
khchris(original)
100%

khchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
well, as far as their music is concerned, i havent really listened to 'em much in years. theres not a shitload of material out there, and as a band they werent really together long enough to evolve. however, at the same time, that what i love about 'em. considering the brief time they were together, they wrote (and yes, they wrote them) some pretty memorable songs. id still listen to em if i wasnt so burned out on em.

the pistols were just fun. i still think the whole idea of the pistols (fabrications/controversial aspects/whatever aside) are still fun. they had a major ipact on alot of bands to pic up and play...yes...a lot of bands that ended up being better than the pistols themselves, but thats despite the point. shit, thereed be no crass if it wasnt for the pistols. even though crass went on to make fun of the pistols, the real "founder" of crass, penny rembaud, has made it quite clear that the pistols was his inspiration to actually start a band to begin with.

and crass, by far, as one of the best bands ever...punk, rock and roll, experimental, whatever...its allllll there with crass. ill always love that band. shit, ill always love the pistols too. even if i dont listen to em anymore.

its became such a cliche (and im NOT saying thats what yr doing) for kids to dis the pistols as being complete shit...but talk about shit like fugazi like they are gods. if it wasnt for the pistols, theyre may not be a fugazi. ian was obviously more influenced by the politcal aspects of brittish punk (he was ordering a lot of over-seas singles back in the day...thats how he learned to make the minor threat photocpied album sleeves) that he was the more nasty/debaucherous aspectes of typical early american punk. (and keep in mind, im not ripping on fugazi im jusat using them as an example). and wether or not he was a pistols fan (which, he was at one point) that matters very little. half the bands he was seriously influenced by were influenced by the pistols.

i just think history is very important. it bums me out the stooges havent been inducted into the rock n' roll hall of fame when the pistols have...theyred be to pistols most likely if it wasnt for the stooges...but that goes on and on.

theyll be remembered long after most of the punk/post punk going on today is long forgotten...which to me says they did something really interesting.

crass was one of the better uk bands for sure. i thought the sex pistols were a bit overrated. they had some good songs but some really boring songs too. ramones came out earlier and had much more intensity and energy. sex pistols music really was just rock 'n roll.

i guess i always got the feeling steve jones tried too hard to be thunders, which always irks me when i hear the pistols. influence is important but ripping off is quite another.
khchris(original) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|