View Single Post
Old 01.01.2008, 11:24 AM   #46
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666

Without wanting to sound overly pretentious, TG perhaps best illustrate the point made by Adorno that an avant-garde (assuming we might want to think of punk, as MacLaren surely did, as avant-garde) is effective only in so far as its very form cannot be appropriated by mass industry.

Overly pretentious is better than ignorant any day of the week.

Adorno, being a trained composer, would've HATED punk, and would've found its attempt to be avant-garde to be false. Punk employs some rather convential harmonic structures, which is at odds with the "anti-x" attitude. Adorno had come across this before and wasn't impressed. Only a composer like Shoenberg, in A's opinion, is truly avant-garde (and thus, un-appropriatable (I made a new word!)) by breaking from Western tonal techniques. The fact that "anyone can play punk" (whereas no one but Shoenberg can write Shoenberg) is its nail in the coffin. Ever see that poster: "here's a chord, here's another. One more. Now start a band"? Adorno would've been aghast at the idea of all these bands forming, using the same chords. "Make up your own chords!" he would've advised, I think. While I'm putting words in his mouth, I imagine that he would've dug a good deal of SY's stuff.

-Glice, his writing is harder than week-old shit, isn't it? He's not very quotable, and its hard to extract any slogans from his writings. I think he might've wanted it that way.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|