View Single Post
Old 12.31.2007, 08:27 PM   #42
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
tehy are often referred to as "protopunk" for a reason. soon after the stooges we see alot of bands spring up that were highly influenced by the stooges approach, most of which went on to be called "punk"...the ramones, and esp. the dead boys are great examples. shit, even the pistols. all three of these bands even went as far as to cover stooges songs if that says anything.

its got to do with the attitude, the rawness, and the minimal approach.

the stooges were a punk band if there was ever such a thing. rumour has it lester bangs coined the term "punk rock" to describe the stooges...course another rumour has it that legs mcniel coined the phrase. really, it matters not.

I'm not denying they're considered "punk". I'm just saying they sound Rock 'n' Roll to me - well, to be honest, I'm really only working off Fun House, which I consider a great Rock 'n' Roll album.

As for the attitude etc, yes, apparently that is 'Punk'. But then Rock 'n' Roll has an attitude similar. Heck, look at Motorhead. You don't get many bands that say "fuck you" like Motorhead, and they're considered 'Metal'. Although they did fuse elements of 'punk' into their sound.

As I get older, I get more cynical when it comes to these things and consider 'punk' less an attitude and more just an image.

As for the Sex Pistols, they have some tunes that are listenable, but there's just something about them that irritates me - probably their stupid fucking look.