View Single Post
Old 05.16.2006, 06:51 PM   #14
themawt71
the destroyed room

themawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's asses
my step dad(rip) bobby thompson played banjo and was actually a big influence on modern day banjoists like bela flek and others. he sucessfully worked out a way to play more of a melodic style compared to the earlier earl scruggs style. this was in the late 50s when he started to record and tour with jim and jessee. in the 60s he moved to nashville and got into the studio scene and even played banjo in the house band of hee haw. remember hee haw? he was the bearded guy in the back on banjo that never smiled. in the late 60s and early 70s he got sick of bluegrass and the lack of movement in the genre so along with some other nashville studio musicians he began to mix more rock elements(banjo with wah wah-fucking cool) with country elements. they were called "area code 615" and made 2 really good records. for the 70s and early 80s he played on records with everyone from willie nelson, chet atkins, neil young(i am told i was in the control room for part of this session tho i remember very little about it, iwas 6)elvis and the monkees. he got MS in the early 80s and retired in 85 or 86. in highschool bela flek came over with earl scruggs and played for bobby and my mom and i in our kitchen. it was very cool. check out
bobbythompsonbanjo.com. there is a comp cd called thompson picks that is a very small cross section of his recorded work. its got straight up bluegrass, rock stuff as well as some jazz tunes. he was an amazing person and i am proud to say he was my stepdad. in a few days he will have been passed for a year.

for more avante garde stuff there is this guy called uncle woody sullender who is a chicago guy. he does free improv stuff tho ive never heard him.

matt
themawt71 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|