View Single Post
Old 05.29.2007, 07:20 PM   #14
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
I don't know, SuchFriendsAreDangerous, I've just always been that way. I was the same way about my artwork before it burned up. I'm a real primadonna son of a bitch and no situation is good enough for me. I'm certain there's a good deal of fear there too. Fear of Failure. Fear of Success as well. As many I know constantly advise, it's like I'm waiting for a lightning bolt to hit me to start my life. I think a lot of talented people are dysfunctional in a similar way. To be a significant artist, you pretty much have to be an individual, or somewhat of one, thus you can't stand to join any groups of people. The mere thought of joining some group pf people, even a loosely knit one, even a group of artists, is just the biggest drag.

It has always struck me that the vast majority of musicians are always screaming "Look at me" when most really have no right to even be on a stage. Fuck the self-serving art-polluters. (Well, that was more brutal than I had intended...oh well, fuck it, it's honest.) As I wrote recently, most bands have problems because the vocalist and the lyrics are subpar. I've been approached to be a singer a few times based solely on my looks. I just told them I couldn't sing to get them leave me alone. To have a good band you need a great singer that writes great lyrics. I've never felt confident with my own singing (although I'm not terrible), and I've never felt condifent at all writing lyrics. As David Lowery remarks, "writing rock lyrics is a low art." I just can't do it. Add to these woes my abysmal luck ever finding a drummer. I can drum a little (who can't), but I need a good drummer. Magic happens when I'm playing with a good drummer. When I lived in Athens, any good ones were always committed to their respective bands too much and couldn't give their all.

Something always made me reject the music business for these reasons.
And don't even get me started about the art world. It's probably at least ten times worse.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|