View Single Post
Old 05.20.2007, 05:15 AM   #1
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
June's issue of Mojo Magazine lists "100 records that changed the world". Every record is reviewed by some artist (some of them I've never herard of though, I mean who the hell is Fionn Regan who reviews Neil Young's Everybody Knows....?)

Sonic Youth' Evol is ranked at #85, with Stuart Braithwaite from Mogwai saying:
<<
EVOL has a real immediacy to it - they were at the peak of their innovation, marrying this experimentation to a total pop sensibility. You get an errie beauty to something like Shadow Of A Doubt which is all down to their open tunings and harmonics.
Expressway To Yr. Skull is mind-blowing - that 'free noise' thing is a huge influence on Mogwai. For our first 10 rehearsals that's pretty much all we did.
They took something from the work of Glenn Branca and others, but they changed the way a lot of people make music - you can see their impact on so many groups, from obvious followers to Radiohead. even Neil Young. I went to Reading Festival in 1991 - I was 14, my big sister took me - and they closed with Expressway. That made me want to be in a band.
>>

Without this no ... Nirvana, Mogwai, Dinosaur Jr., My Bloody Valentine

Then the Ramones selftitled album is at #22, with Thurston saying this about it:
<<
I was 18 and my father was dying. My family had been travelling back and forth, to and from the hospital, and I can remember stopping off at a record store. I stared at this album the whole way home thinking, What can these guys possibly sound like? It was kind of a morose scene around our house. I put the Ramones on and all my aunts and uncles and my mom and my sister got up and they danced to the whole record, whooping it up and letting off all this emotion. I was sitting there on the couch thinking, This is not what I expected, I expected something like a Stooges or an Alice Cooper record - something somewhat nefarious - but this struck right to the heart of feeling good. After that, I played it once or twice a day for over a year. I learned how to play guitar from it, and wrote a song called I'm Not Gonna Mow The Lawn No More. The Ramones were as much an alternative to punk rock as they were to the mainstream. Punk had this slovenly, fucked-up image, but here was this precision, sandblasting, no-frills rock'n'roll. There was diligence in the performance and the look, and beneath the humour there was a pathos in the lyrics. It's hard to say where rock music would be without the Ramones
>>

Without this no ... "Onetwothreefour!!"

Top 5 is:
5. Kraftwerk - Autobahn
4. Bob Dylan - The Freewheelin'Bob Dylan
3. Elvis Presley - Heartbreak Hotel
2. The Beatles - I Want To Hold your hand
1. Little Richard - Tutti Frutti

I haven't got a clue how they compiled this list. I mean the Libertines are ranked at #92. Who the fuck are the Libertines ??!! And Green Day's Dookie is at #95.... WTF?

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|