View Single Post
Old 04.09.2007, 05:03 PM   #135
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noumenal
I downloaded Qvaris a few weeks ago. I've been listening to it and I don't get what the big deal is. Pleasant sounds, but I have a hard time maintaining interest. I've been doing very close passive listening. I don't believe this music can be listened to actively. I have formal problems with it. It's organic, but meanders. I'm sceptical. Also, where's the Grundgestalt in the tunes? Sometimes I think that instead of saying something musical, they're saying something emotive, and that's a degradation in communication. That is, there's no reference, except for some odd, primal, sensationalism.

Convert me.

Qvaris probably wouldn't flip your switches. It is a bit meandering. I was completely sold by the time that record came out, but I might not have been so convinced if it was the only one I heard. Personally, Letters from the Earth is my favourite - they manage to pull that trick of improvising something that couldn't be composed without being a 'jam band'. I'm not saying it couldn't be composed, more that it wouldn't be composed. There's a lot of playing on the precipice of improvisational collapse... and it's that which interests me most about them, especially on LFTE, that they sound like an improv band sounds like when they're just about to lose grip on whatever 'groove' they had... except they often don't have the groove in the first place. There's also a lot of sounding like sections of the band are fighting against another section... there's a track on Nine for Victor where this Cello meanders forever with some twiddling otherwise... and then it suddenly finds the tonic and the rest of the twiddling falls into place.

I could probably say something a little less wishy-washy, but it's been an epic weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|