View Single Post
Old 03.20.2007, 10:50 AM   #20
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by noumenal
I bought a pickup for my cello and it sounds pretty sweet--I've been messing around with it a little bit. I know next to nothing about this kind of stuff, so I was wondering if any of you gurus could suggest pedals that might sound good with a cello or any other setup that I might need. Right now, all I've got is my digital 8-track that's acting sort of as a pre-amp. It has built-in effects but they sound lame.

I could post some samples if you guys want, so you can see what it sounds like.

Or if you think amplified cello is a stupid idea, that's cool too.

My ex tutor (Thomas Gardner) used to play the cello amplified and through some software he had on a laptop. Some of the stuff he came up with is daft in a good way. Sometimes he'd give us a lecture while his voice was filtered through some of the strangest effects. I learned a lot from him about manipulating sound.

Thomas Gardner, cellist, premiered a new type of work for fixed sound and cello in Liverpool, Tuesday, the 29th of November. The work, Analogies of Control uses an audio model in place of a written score. The sounds are delivered via headphones to the cellist who then "mimics" the sounds in the model. The "score" sounds are not cello derivations, but the accompanying (diffused) sounds are. Details on the technique are found on my research site and are the focus of one aspect of my PhD research. The solo studies for this work, and the papers describing the technique were presented at DMU's annual research review, and the Digital Music Research Network Summer Conference 2005 in Glasgow.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|