Thread: noise isnt art
View Single Post
Old 04.24.2006, 07:33 PM   #2
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
noise is art if it contains form, if there is no formal structure then it is just noise. for example if you listen to outrios 2 on atavistic the music has a definite form but it is complete noise. if there was no form this would not be listenable. for example pendulum music by steve reich contains form to a certain extent because his choices when he freed the microphone to start its motion was a choice about the rythmic patterns that may evolve from when the microphone is released. and what is the definition of art, take marcel duchamp's fountain where he placed a urinal in an art gallery. is that art? the act of placement was the art the piece of could have been replaced with any domestic product. art is not necessarily about self expression it is also about challenging the ideas about how people in the world think, which is what duchamp did with that particular piece. is silver sessions for jason knuth a piece of art, how do you describe that cd, what is it if it is not art, sonic youth are artists, they created the silver sessions, the silver sessions is noise with little form apart from the room harmonics which is interesting in itself? ill contradict myself slightly there as i write from the top of my head.

i don't really have any answers, just questions but id like any opinions on this...
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|