View Single Post
Old 02.09.2007, 04:06 AM   #7
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
i dont agree with you, simply because the essence of creation and art is copycating. everyone has heard music before, so when they go to pick up a guitar, bass, drums, laptop, they are going to sound like someone. the key is not to be innovative, its to make something your own. and the minute it is your own, and true (ie personal, with thought, emotional...) then it doesnt matter if it has never been heard before. look at all of the old bluesmen or folk singers. or even sonic youth, at the begginning sounded excactly like their contemporaries. or the velvet underground who might be the greatest band of all time IMO sounded like bob dylan mixed with blues and a guitarist trying to sound like ornette coleman. but they made some of the most groundbreaking music off all time.
i took a music course at BU this summer, and the teacher said to us, "never borrow music, because if you borrow it then it still sounds like someone elses.. you have to steal it, thuis making it yours"
and i dont think you can find many innovative bands in the realm of rock music, that didnt sound like their predocecors in some way or another.
as stravinsky said, "to make music you have to take the old, and make it new"
maybe i'm just saying all of this because my band is very heavily influenced from branca and SY, but i dont see anything wrong with that (plus we have been changing direction a bit recently....)
i hpe i made sense...
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|