View Single Post
Old 12.23.2006, 07:46 PM   #19
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokolosh
The Fountain - Darren Aronofsky
The Wind That Shakes the Barley - Ken Loach
The Departed - Martin Scorsese
A Scanner Darkly - Richard Linklater
The Science of Sleep - Michel Gondry
Volver - Pedro Almodóvar
United 93 - Paul Greengrass... mmm
Wassup Rockers - Larry Clark... nothing special.
World Trade Center - Oliver Stone... nothing special.

I'd put The Devil & Daniel Johnston, but it's from 2005.

Can't think of any more right now. It's been a quiet film year for me.
THere were mostly remakes, sequals and total crap.

Still wanna see:
Andy Warhol: A Documentary Film - Ric Burns
Starring Laurie Anderson, Jeff Koons, Irving Blum, Donna DeSalvo, Pat Hackett, Dave Hickey, Stephen Koch, Paul Morrissey, and George Plimpton.
Neil Young: Heart of Gold - Jonathan Demme
The Devil Wears Prada - David Frankel

I went pretty often this year. I'm still floored by Letters From Iwo Jima and, to a lesser extent, The Good Shepherd.
Neil Young: Heart of Gold - Jonathan Demme was on my list at one point, but I didn't even mention it honorably...Doh! I saw World Trade Center too and it was so-so.

Andy Warhol: A Documentary Film - Ric Burns
I removed The Devil & Daniel Johnston (which, as you pointed out, came out last year...Doh!) and replaced it with this documentary.
Overall, I was somewhat underwhelmed with this even though I still like it a great deal. Although it leaves out some key points like Andy and Marcel and there's little concerning the Factory Superstars, it's fairly informative and entertaining. It focuses more on Warhol's films than any other documentary. There is only one time in the whole thing where Anderson slows down to anything other than a breakneck pace for her narration and that's disconcerting, but I thought Koons' reading as Warhol was very good and I enjoyed the commentators. As you may remember, I was exceedingly anticipating it. I taped it from the PBS broadcasts onto two VHS. I forgot this was released to art houses. I will write though that The BBC Warhol documentary that porkmarras posted a YouTube link to some time ago was perhaps more informative concerning a more in-depth analysis of Warhol's art and the commentary was slightly more highbrow overall.
The Factory is supposedly coming out soon.

I haven't seen The Fountain, The Wind That Shakes the Barley, The Science of Sleep, Volver and Wassup Rockers.
Out of the ones you listed that I haven't seen, I want to see The Devil Wears Prada the most.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|