View Single Post
Old 12.22.2006, 02:27 AM   #454
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
Sounds like a good one. I need some good sci-fi at the moment. Although I suppose that one isn't really sci-fi. Historical fiction? I suppose it's what you call 'speculative fiction' but that's a term made up by cunts to appeal to pricks. Sci-fi for people who are afraid of liking sci-fi. (ok, rant over)

I am reading The Final Journals of William Burroughs then I have Ghost of Chance by Burroughs to read and The White Guard by Bulgakov after that.

"Speculative fiction" is kind of a broad term to include all of SF, Fantasy, Horror, and all points in between. I don't have the same chip on my shoulder about it that you do, but I do agree that the broadness leads to ambiguity. Pavane, and other alternate history books such as PKD's Man in the High Castle or any number of Harry Turtledove's books, are essentially a sub-set of Science Fiction. However, Pavane in particular borders on Steampunk and Science Fantasy as well. It's pretty good, a look at the thread in our message board will find me having somewhat mixed feelings about it (I use the name ljim2000 therebouts). Overall, it's quite well written, however.

I do reccomend the Author Central forum from the Science Fiction board as a great place to get all kinds of conversational reccomendations of SF to read since you say you're looking for that.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|