Thread: Who's a DJ?
View Single Post
Old 12.12.2006, 06:38 PM   #34
DJ Rick
100%

Location: Sacto (CA) Institute for Record Collection Scrutiny
DJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
Is Portland still cool?

There was a time when I could count dozens of Portland bands as my current faves, and I'd be driving back and forth between here and there at least every other month. Now, it seems to have slowed down, but it's still very active...somewhere, I read that they have a current inventory of about 2500 bands and musical projects. Insane! I wonder if the whole Sacramento area even has 300?

Underrated food city (so long as you avoid burritos (except King Burrito) and Chinese (except some dives on 82nd)). Lotsa shows. All kindsa music. Best new record store in the West with Exiled Records on SE Hawthorne at 46th. Tons of other stores there for certain niches.

Sometimes, it's so hip that it hurts. Just try not to cringe when the Mercury columnists spout some kinda coded slang all the time and "edgy irony." But at the same time, it's mass media and yet it's centered on music and art at the most grassroots of levels...as in, they even write about house-shows sometimes, and then the cops don't even show up to bust it.

And then, you can take the bus to the bottom of Marquam Canyon and hike up 1000 feet, traverse the crest, get lost in a forest with waterfalls, and come back downtown on a return trail. All within a couple hours.

Yeah, it's still my ideal city.

It's actually this job and this radio station that keeps me in the Davis/Sacto area.
DJ Rick is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|