View Single Post
Old 10.30.2006, 03:36 PM   #57
DJ Rick
100%

Location: Sacto (CA) Institute for Record Collection Scrutiny
DJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trasher02
Yeah sure I know but isn't it natural that most fans of SY would listen to grungy bands? What I ment was they reached their peak in the grunge-era I didn't mean they were formed then.

They reached their commercial peak during that time, sure...but not their artistic peak.

So did the Cure, but they're not confused with grunge.

SY is such a long-running band, I don't think you can say it's natural for "most fans" to listen to anything else in particular. A lot of longtime SY fans in 1991 never really warmed up to the grunge bands, seeing them as inferior to SY in originality. You can call it an elitist attitude if you want, but it was an informed one.

Certainly, if your first exposure to SY was during that era on MTV or in Spin magazine, you were learning about SY as if they came in on Nirvana's coattails. I do understand that.

But now, it's been over a decade since grunge became a joke, and I find it sorta laughable--having grown up through that period--that anyone who's too young to remember it all of a sudden has nostalgia for it. It's like VH1's "I Love the [fill in the decade]" series has everyone so confused about what's worthy of nostalgia.

Nirvana was a great band. Tad made an awesome record with "God's Balls." The Melvins were great. But little else of so-called "grunge" (which makes more sense as a marketing term than a name for a genre) has aged well at all.

So, it seems rather ill-fitting for SY to wear the grunge tag, or even to be compared to it, and it especially sells short the impact SY has had on so many other bands and artists. It also sell short the quality and variety of SY's music and related projects reaching back to their formative days a full decade ahead of the media's appropriation of the word "grunge."

Please pardon the grizzled tone of correctiveness here. I'm only trying to help you enjoy your favorite band a little bit more.

Now that I'm ancient by message board standards, I wish there was a better way to share history in a way where younger people would actually wanna receive it. Also, I do strongly believe that dwelling so much on a bygone era (such as the mostly sucky 90's) deprives young people of the chance to enjoy more of the best stuff that's happening today, so please only appreciate the history strictly for what it's worth...that being, it helps everyone young and old understand how everyone's music actually relates to everyone else's music.
DJ Rick is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|