View Single Post
Old 08.20.2006, 02:11 PM   #3
nomowish
children of satan

nomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washing Machine
I agree to an extent that the older albums had the feeling of being continuous pieces as opposed to individual songs. What I have always loved about 'Bad Moon Rising', 'Evol' and 'Daydream Nation' is that you forget what song your listening to as it all flows into one ugly, majestic, perverse symphony from hell. The later albums do seem to be more songform based, But I think SY has returned to making those kind of albums again (Rather Ripped being the exception). Particularly with 'NYCG&F' and 'Murray Street'. But perhaps that had a lot to do with Jim being in the band. The SYR's have that 80's SY feel in many ways.

Lee Ranaldo's been so consistent. His songs have a real quality/mood to 'em. They're so distinguishable from Kim and Thurston's. They seem to be about something important, real. He's clearly still stuck in the 80's, thank goodness.

The one positive surprise on Rather Ripped for me is Kim Gordon's impression of Nico. Finally like Lee she's just singing the song (or half-singing/half-talking), instead of punkin' it up to mixed results. Her songs are the highlight, beautiful, mellow, cool and seductive. She gives her smoothest vocal performance since - yep, you guessed it - the 80s.
nomowish is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|