Thread: Mix Tapes
View Single Post
Old 08.15.2006, 05:21 AM   #453
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie
SONICL SIDE TWO:

Track one is a trippy/dubby type thing. Is Adrian Sherwood involved? Like a lot of the On-U stuff but with trumpet that sounds like Miles Davis. I went through a stage of loving On-U, for a brief period late 80's/early 90's they were just great. This probably isn't On-U at all though is it? Good though. Alas no vocals to comment on.
The track is Rhys Chatham and Martin Wheeler. Although Rhys Chatham is most well known as a guitar-based composer, he also plays trumpet, and much of his more recent work is trumpet based. I think the trumpet was played through a wah pedal on this one - as you say, very Miles Davis.

Quote:
Track 2. I recognise this I think. Very dancy. Wait a minute, I'm going to take a stab in the dark: Adamski. Nice & acidy.
This one is the New Zealand one-man band Gate. Michael Morley discovered laptops in the late 90s and decided to stop doing distorted guitar stuff and start doing laptop stuff instead. I can't remember the name of the album, but if you want to know I'll tell you later. If there is a laptop set by Gate at ATP (seeing as Michael Morley will be there with The Dead C) I will be very happy.

Quote:
Track 3: An instrumental Mazzy Star-like track. I know it's not MS, that's the only band I could think of. I would guess British early 90's but I don't know. Not a great track on its own, but fits in well. Lets me have a sit-down after my dance to "Adamski".
I can't remember what this was. I really should have written out a track list.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|