View Single Post
Old 08.09.2006, 02:13 PM   #49
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
The problem I have with it is the fact that one can easily hone one's own skills with a high-school level of writing education. You either have the facility for it or you don't, and I did not receive one iota of writing "education" in college beyond what I received in high school. It was EXACTLY the same stuff being taught in both institutions, even at senior college level. This is why my resentment for the college education is so high.

ah, see, i don't know that because i didn't go to highschool in this country. but then again there are universities and universities, and some will have better journalism schools or writing programs than others, and musicology, well, it's a rather obscure field, so he's bound to do some good learning if he has good professors. i know also that it's pretty easy to spot uneducated writing-- yes you COULD (in theory) educate yourself, but the sad fact is that not many people do it, and if you can get scholarships & loans to help you do it instead of doing that after flipping burgers all day, i say go for it.

btw, you know i am not in favor of college for all (this is where i dissent with gmku, though perhaps it's a middle class right of passage more than anything, and on that i don't have an opinion). for an education in itself, however, i strongly believe that some people are better off with a technical education or with some kind of apprenticeship according to the work they are capable and willing to do. but in THIS particular case, i think dazedcola could use the degree. ignorant writers are the bane of the written word. and if he wants to make a living as a writer, he should try to increase his odds from the start.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|