View Single Post
Old 08.09.2006, 01:25 PM   #42
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
yeah short story classes suck and don't really give you any "art" (nobody can teach you to be creative). however, to be a professional writer (not "artist" but magazine hack), it helps to have a good education unless you're a bona fide genius. for every palahniuk, there are millions of wannabe "artists" churning out illegible crap. on the other end of the spectrum, however, a friend of mine i met at that writing program just started making $75K/year, with benefits etc etc, as a staff writer in a company i shall not mention, after 10 years of doing trade magazines, freelancer shit & business journalism, while teaching writing on the side, and living on the brink of bankruptcy. yes, it's not a millionaire salary (and i'm sure palahniuk has a fat bank account) but i'd submit it's good enough money to live decently and comfortably as a writer. most "writers" make about $300 a year with their craft and require additional employment. check out some stats.

now, read "the wire" & tell me those people never got an education or aren't schooled in music. some probably have teaching jobs. 4 years of college is cake when you have a good reason. and it can be a ton of fun if you're enjoying what you do.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|