View Single Post
Old 04.20.2022, 12:24 PM   #25138
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
anyway the other day i watched this fairly recent french flick, "de gaulle" (2020).

it's nice well done etc but... reads a bit propagandistic.

don't get me wrong, hats off to de gaulle for his role in ww2 and the resistance, etc... but the movie portrayed him like a man without flaws, which he wasn't. but ok, it's a "heroic" subject, and pétain is the villain here (well, he was, the poor senile traitor). the real struggle runs even deeper as the film focuses on de gaulle's difficult decision to seize the historical moment, bridging the personal and the political-- this is what i think it does best.

because of this it's not just a war/political story, but also the story of his wife and children, especially his down syndrome kid (i didn't know about her).

while not a masterpiece, and corny if you're cynical, the movie was cathartic, and it made for a nice evening.

also, seeing the nazi invasion and the refugees reminded me of ukraine, and of zelensky refusing to lie down and surrender to a greater mechanized power, so that was timely for fucking sure.

ok.

!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|