View Single Post
Old 04.06.2022, 10:23 AM   #25102
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
for me his worst ones are isle of dogs (i didn't finish it after having defended his style, lmao. i just lost interest) and the darjeeling limited, which i finished but did nothing for me. wasn't in the mood for either i guess. big yawns.

I can understand Isle of Dogs but for me Darjeeling Limited is one of his best, alongside Tenenbaums, Rushmore and Bottle Rocket.
Darjeeling is definitely a “confection,” but it’s also absolutely stuffed with real, human, emotional moments from the get-go (first scene after the short-film-style intro sequence, at least).
Darjeeling, like Tenenbaums, brings to mind JD Salinger and his fascination with the family dynamics of privileged over-achievers in existential crisis. You have several moments that really pull on the heartstrings and make you root for the characters. It’s detached but it still has that relatable punch of the real. Kind of the perfect balance in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
anyway found this new yorker review that addresses the very points you and rob make about french disparch, like aesthetic distancing from reality, and excessive elaboration, etc. makes me want to rewatch it now.

and also i'll add... isn't distancing from reality what makes the aesthetic experience desirable? otherwise it's all cannibal holocaust in live 3d.

anyway check this if interested: https://www.newyorker.com/culture/th...ewheeling-film

the guy ends with this:

i just thought he makes a good point about the "heroism of beauty" which, maybe this movie isn't beautiful for all, but ok. i'll get the streaming service this summer and revisit.

Perfectly fair, but in my opinion, with Dispatch (and to some extent Grand Budapest Hotel, though that was a better film), Anderson has ramped this aesthetic up to the detriment of the core of the films. He’s continued to layer his creations with diorama atop diorama of these exquisite little facsimiles of reality. And sure, it’s a legitimate and not intrinsically negative stylistic decision, but it’s made his films increasingly less and less emotionally rewarding for me over time.

(I realize Darjeeling is super diorama-y at times, but still, it feels like an aesthetically enhanced vision of reality and real people; not a cardboard cutout doing its best impression thereof.)
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|