View Single Post
Old 03.23.2021, 01:25 PM   #24889
Antagon
invito al cielo

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
yah, slavery was fucked up but "normal" back in the day. more recent than that, ever seen "gone with the wind"? sheesh...

Oh, the list is long. I remember picking out silent-era to roughly the end of the monochrome era movies as visuals for my events. I did scrap quite a few, because the racism/sexism/etc. was just too over the top. So much jarring content from a contemporary perspective - and often integrated in the most casual of ways, it was just so ingrained in popular media. One could make an interesting study on how certain depictions have changed over the years (I'm sure a lot of people have).

Never watched Gone With The Wind, though. For some reason, the prospect of watching it always seemed like a chore from the get-go. Maybe one day, but it'll be a massively uncomfortable watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i like to think of batty recognizing a fellow replicant rather than looking for someone to witness him. and also achieving his "humanity" since he was bred to be a psychopathic killing machine (ofc funny thing the humans are worse. )

I mean, both could apply at the same time. It is definitely a moment that proves him having achieved humanity. But I also believe he wants his humanity to be seen and heard. Having lived in servitude for a long time and breaking out of it, only to be met by a society indifferent to their plight and failing to grasp their (replicants) humanity - I think he desired to be seen the way he had come to know himself in the end.

He may well have recognized Deckard as a replicant. But I think whether Deckard was a replicant or not didn't matter so much in the way he perceived Batty and his crew. If Deckard was indeed a replicant, he clearly wasn't always aware of that and believed himself to be human (implanted memories are hinted at). Hence, he was there as a human witness to all the emotional musings of Batty - at least in the figurative sense. It could be a waker upper in many different ways. I think there are a lot of layers to this scene and that's why I love it so much.

Antagon is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|