View Single Post
Old 05.27.2020, 04:36 PM   #8240
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Alright, I'll bite. Only because I wanna see how you move the goalpost because you can't handle the idea that your viewpoints have absolutely nothing in line with what sonic youth as a collective ever preached.

Dude Ranch Nurse
Paper Cup Exit
Do you believe in rapture
Society is a hole
Teenage riot
Chapel Hill
Anti-orgasm
Rain on tin
Youth against facism
Peace attack

Don't forget protest-records.com, all the interviews (especially in their later years) they did where they talked about politics and their stance against Republicans, the benefit concerts they played, the gender politics they shouted from the beginning that Trump and his cronies abhor. They were never slogan chanters like gang of four, fugazi and whoever but the politics were always there. Now fuck off and go listen to skrewdriver instead.

I do think Kim is an overtly political figure but I'd say the others largely fall into the same standard liberal category that applies to most 'creatives'. But it's always felt more meaningful for Kim, especially in relation to feminist politics, from early songs like Flower, her becoming a kind of figurehead for Riot Grrl, onto later songs like 'Swimsuit Issue', etc. A few songs aside, I would've never described SY as a political band in the 80s but I do think it became more of a focus from the 90s onwards, when Kim's profile and influence within the band started to increase.

As for whether it's an oxymoron for a SY fan to even contemplate voting for Trump, I'd say it depends what attracted them to the band in the 1st place. If they're more into stuff like 'Female Mechanic' then it probably is. Less so if they're more about stuff like DV69.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|