Thread: religion
View Single Post
Old 08.04.2006, 04:13 PM   #141
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcoffee
It isn't the myth of God it's the myths of gods. All cultures don't beleive in one god. Many cultures believed in many god's that did not represent each other in other cultures.

Maybe if someone here was an anthropologist/theologist then maybe we could get some clearer perspective on this whole discussion.

My New Larousse Encyclopedia of Mythology, Mysterium Conjunctionis & The Golden Bough are all well-worn volumes. I've read & have devoted study to most of the major (& some rather esoteric ones as well) religious texts & works of philosophy. I've also recommended an actual anthropology book on this forum several times in the past as well, Magic & Schizophrenia by Geza Roheim, about Aboriginal culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcoffee
I don't know why people believe in god even from a very ancient stand point, but by your logic, if people who believed in gods were correct, then there wouldn't be just one god, there would be literally thousands of gods. Every culture's religions would be correct. Their would be many gods of the harvest, of the rain, the sun, the earth, rocks, trees, everything would be represented by separate gods. I know that you believe in one God, the christian/jewish/muslim God Yahweh, but if all people who believed in god/gods were inspired by the divine then the heavens would be littered with many different gods. How come you dont belive in all those gods? Why do yuo rest your faith in just one? You have a veritable pick of the litter from which to choose yr deities.

I'll end this post by repeating the very first words that I wrote in this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
different cultures interpret the religious experience differently, (each for their time & place) but in essence, most of the underlying principles are the same.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|