View Single Post
Old 12.27.2019, 09:44 PM   #52248
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antagon
Anyway, thanks for the input.

To me, they were one of those bands that without reinventing the wheel end up sounding unique anyway. Christgau gave them a rave review at the time...

Quote:
Who's Landing in My Hangar? [Faulty Products, 1981]
Have rock-and-rollers ever reflected more matter-of-factly on the travails of sexual commitment? Bet both Pfeifer and Marcarian were raised up in the First Church of Humanity (Secular), because unlike Elvis II and the X kids, for instance, they don't find much thrill in confessional--just get annoyed, pissed off, very pissed off, and insane with rage. Also unlike the aforementioned, they get lyrical, quite light and playful in fact, which adds charm to their organ-based garage style. Not many cool guys boasting about their girlfriends' "looks" these days. A

...and mentioned them again in this 1988 SPIN chat with Gerard Cosloy of Homestead Records (and later of course of Matador fame), ostensibly about Daydream Nation and Royal Trux's debut:

Quote:
My problem is that I don't find that there's much room for formal innovation in this music anymore. The innovations people come up with are extremely small, personal, idiosyncratic, and what that means is that they have to hit you where you live or you can live without them. That wasn't true of, say, Human Switchboard, to take one example from six years ago. They had a lot of places to go.

The LP was reissued this year by Fat Possum.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|