View Single Post
Old 10.31.2019, 03:04 PM   #31
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by choc e-Claire
Ah man, fucking TERFs.

Basically, a TERF is a trans-exclusionary radical feminist (hence the acronym). It's fairly easy to write off a lot of anti-trans bigotry as just being from ignorant old boomers, but TERFs are different. A lot of their arguments boil down to "trans women aren't real women, and should be excluded from women's spaces". And while - yes, I get that there's a difference; but it's still really fucking painful seeing that trans women are being excluded and vilified based solely on birth.
They'll often call themselves as "gender critical", but the stuff they'll espouse is still pretty clearly biased - "what if there's a penis in a women's restroom???", "won't somebody please think of the children?", etc. They just coat it in a flavouring of "protecting 'real' women", rather than just being openly transphobic. :/

I know what TERF means. I don't think any of these people have any kind of anti-trans agenda or are bigots, and frankly I call into question a person born male telling a woman like for example Germaine Greer that they know better about what counts as a woman than she does. Generally the arguements against these people are either ad hominem (e.g. they are old bigots), straw man (e.g. what they are saying appears to be this but is really just cloaked transphobia) or apeals to emotion (we're the victims and it hurts our feelings when people question us).

I'm just sumarising what I see and don't have any particular stake in the argument. Personally I think gender is nonsense and everyone's pronouns should be neutral. And if you have to differentiate (say for medical reasons or whatever) do it by chromosomes, xx or xy (or xxy or xyy).

Also rather than forcing people to cohabit the best solution to the women's toilet issue is to have a three sets of toilets, mens womens & free.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|